Thread: program can't start .... missing mfc100.dll

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Default program can't start .... missing mfc100.dll

My client get this message when opening his app

"The program can't start because mfc100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

this is not a file in the runtime folder - any ideas?
    Cole Custom Programming
    www.martinwcole.com

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: program can't start .... missing mfc100.dll

It's part of the visual studio stuff. Is it possible your target PC is preventing that file from being installed? Lots of that going on with Vista and Win7. You may need to turn off UAC to get it installed.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Thanks David.
    It isn't a file in A5V10 Runtime. But I found it in "c:\windows\system32"

I instructed the users to turn off UAC on Vista and W7, and be logged in as an administrator before running it.

I downloaded build 3608 for both the full and runtime versions using the option to use the new Visual Studio Version 10. I made an install.exe using Astrum. It installs and runs perfectly on all my computers, but my client sent me an email:

I get the following error message: "The program can't start because mfc100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

could this be related to the build of Alpha I'm using? should I go back to the build using the older version of Visual Studio? or any other ideas?

you would think a W7 machine would be up-to-date on Visual Studio.
    Cole Custom Programming
    www.martinwcole.com

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Selwyn emailed me:

they probably do not have the microsoft c++ runtime on their machine. the a5v10 full version and the runtime install this automatically

there is a file called vcredist_x86.exe that we install.

your install needs to install that and then also execute it.

this is a microsoft file.
    Cole Custom Programming
    www.martinwcole.com

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Good to know. I'm assuming it's included in the A5 Create Install Package. I wonder if there's anything else? Using Astrum I guess you have to know about everything that's required.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Quote Originally Posted by Davidk View Post
    Good to know. I'm assuming it's included in the A5 Create Install Package. I wonder if there's anything else? Using Astrum I guess you have to know about everything that's required.
    Can someone confirm whether or not the A5 Create Install Package will automatically run the vcredist_x86.exe to install the C++ runtime? Knowing the previous limitations of the built-in install package, I'm not sure if it will but hopefully Alpha thought about that and updated the installer to handle it. Or, maybe they just left it so you need to create a batch file to run after the regular install.

In fact, there are two other files that also need to be installed - more on that in my next post.

Real Name
    David Mason

It would be nice if alpha gave us a list of any files we need to install seperately if we are distributing runtimes.

I have not distributed v10.5 yet. I use astrum and guess I am lucky to not have run into this problem yet, but I am currently redoing my whole app into a much more comprehensive one. I would love to be properly prepared in a couple of weeks when I ship a few betas.

Dave Mason
    car_man46@yahoo.com

The one who thinks outside the box(cheats) the most wins the race. Ask any racer.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Michael Humby

Martin,

they probably do not have the microsoft c++ runtime on their machine. the a5v10 full version and the runtime install this automatically

there is a file called vcredist_x86.exe that we install.
    Have all versions of Alpha running but I cannot find any reference to this file anywhere on my PCs

Michael

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Selwyn graciously helped me with this on a Sunday morning!

If you will go to release notes, and look at 3606, you will see a note that in the near future V10 versions will be released with the new version of the C++ compiler. And it you are going to distribute to clients, it is recommended that you go ahead and get on board with this.

If you download and install the new version, from the release notes, for the Runtime as well as the full, open the Runtime folder and look for

vcredist_x86.exe
    dotnetfx40_full_setup.exe
    RegisterFilesVista_win7.bat (this contains a dhtmedit installer)

if you use Alpha's installers this is all handled automatically, but if you are using something like Astrum, you have to handle it yourself.

Cal and I are working on tweaking Astrum to handle all these - which are conditionally installed, based on the OS.

As soon as we get it right, will post a more complete explanation.

I have it working right now, with Astrum, but am installing all regardless, and have a client who is installing right now, and is working ok, but I would like to install only if necessary, which is what we are working on.

If you go this route, then you are also set up for V11.
    Cole Custom Programming
    www.martinwcole.com

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Michael Humby

Martin,

Do we know if there is any harm done if we install all files regardless of OS.

Michael

Real Name
    Mark Pearson

I got this error on mulitple machines in the last two days. I had to do two things.

1. Turn off account control if the machine used vista
    2. Install the latest runtime plus patch which then installed the .net

I think the latest runtime is not installing the .net as it should, however the patch does

I found that if I created an install package, it installed but if the machine did not have .net it did not install it as well which is now needed. Whereas the patch does.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Regards
    Mark Pearson
    mark.pearson@onestopsolutions.com.au
    Youtube channel
    Website

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Humby View Post
    Martin,

Do we know if there is any harm done if we install all files regardless of OS.

Michael
    As best we can tell, it shouldn't do any harm. The only known "issue" is warning prompts when they have already been installed. Those warning prompts are likely to confuse the user because they don't actually come out and say it has already been installed - instead they just give them the choice of "uninstall" or "repair". And two of the installers show very similar prompts so the user is even likely to think it's trying to do the same install twice.

I've been working on the description and screenshots for setting it up in Astrum (and trying to explain it well enough to help people with any 3rd party installer) but, with other priorities that also need to be handled and the fact that the electric company is going to shut my power off today for 5-6 hours for some kind of "system upgrade", it may be another day before I can get it posted.

Real Name
    Ernie Storms

Cal and Martin,
    Has anything further been done on the install process, yet? I use Astrum and am trying to figure out the easiest method for users to install, especially on Windows 7 since it must be run as administrator. Hate to have them cancel the "Autorun..." install, then open up the cd drive and right-click on the setup file.....
    Thanks for all your efforts.
    Ernie

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

The real trick is determining whether DotNet, or anything else, has already been installed. I don't have Win7 yet and haven't been able to find out how to tell whether or not DotNet has been installed. (Mostly because I haven't taken a lot of time looking for it yet.) If you can figure that out, this video should help you set it up in Astrum.

Real Name
    Ernie Storms

Thanks, Cal. I'll take a look and do some more digging.
    Ernie

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Excellent video Cal - wonder if there is a folder with a specific name if it is installed that you could look for
    Cole Custom Programming
    www.martinwcole.com

Real Name
    Ernie Storms

Martin & Cal,
    The attached jpg shots are on my xp machine. There are two folders that are created in the registry when v4 is installed. It seems to divide them up into "Client" and "Full". In my uninstall program, it lists the "Full" one as "v4.0 Extended", hence my naming of the jpg. The "Full" one is listed as "Client Profile". So I uninstalled the "Extended" one first, which took out the "Full" folder from the registry.
    In Googling this, found that v3.5 and before would place a value in a name called "InstallSuccess". After that, it has been unclear as to what Microsoft does to indicate the same. There is the "Install" name in the 1033 folder that has a value of 1, but haven't be able to find out if it means what "InstllSuccess" meant in v3.5 and before.
    My Win7 laptop, it created one folder called "v4.0...." (plus some other numbers) and placed the "Client" and "Extended" parts in the same folder.
    Ernie
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Ernie Storms

Found on the Astrum Forum a link to download the latest version that has .net 4.0 Framework check included. Still trying to figure out how best to compile the install file. It is huge when including this.
    Ernie

http://www.thraexsoftware.com/download/aiw22850.exe

link to forum topic:
    http://www.thraexsoftware.com/forum/...pic.php?t=1801

Later: Found this on Microsoft site http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/ee...edistributable
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by enstorms; 12-20-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Real Name
    Cathy David

Quote Originally Posted by martinwcole View Post
    My client get this message when opening his app

"The program can't start because mfc100.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

this is not a file in the runtime folder - any ideas?
    hi,

http://www.fix-all-dll-errors.com/mfc100.dll/
    u can go to this site...

as I registered few dll's from this site...worked in my case :)