Thread: Using Frames-- make button be a link to open in frame

Real Name
    JoAnn Ristau

Default Using Frames-- make button be a link to open in frame

Hi,
    I'm a web applications newbie and am stuck.

I'm working on an internal application for one of our departments. I'm trying to make buttons on my page open the link in the mainpage frame on the page I'm working on. I don't want to use HTML links, but buttons. The screenshot will give you more of an idea.

How do I specify the target frame using a dialog button? Can I?

I'm trying to make the 'add new' button open the data entry page in the mainpage frame.

I also want the print button to open the PDF file in the mainpage frame.

Once I get the 'buttons' to work, I'll start on the links for detail records to show up in mainpage.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated!! Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Land of the Free, Because of the Brave
    Support our US Military

Real Name
    JoAnn Ristau

Default Re: Using Frames-- make button be a link to open in frame

Still over here beating my head on the wall. About to give up on web projects.
    Support our US Military

Real Name
    JoAnn Ristau

If there is anyone out there that can help I would REALLY appreciate it. I've tried everything I can think of, and cannot get it to work.

I guess I will be spending the weekend rewriting the application in PHP using MySQL back end.

:(
    Support our US Military

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Buttons usually trigger events on the server (or rather they submit the form etc.), links are traditionally what is used to open something in another page or frame etc, and for those you can specify which frame/page to open in.

Either that or you read up on HTML coding and JavaScript and add the button as a Custom or freeform element.

Real Name
    JoAnn Ristau

I've not had any luck with getting it to display the pdf in a frame using the print button. In the meantime did a workaround using a hyperlink on the left frame, that will display the print button dialog in the main frame, then the user has to click the print button from the main frame and the pdf report displays in the main frame. Its not what I wanted but it will have to do for now.

Looks stupid and not professionally done but at least they can print their report.
    Support our US Military

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Quote Originally Posted by joannristau View Post
    I've not had any luck with getting it to display the pdf in a frame using the print button. In the meantime did a workaround using a hyperlink on the left frame, that will display the print button dialog in the main frame, then the user has to click the print button from the main frame and the pdf report displays in the main frame. Its not what I wanted but it will have to do for now.

Looks stupid and not professionally done but at least they can print their report.
    As there is no such thing as "the print button", presumably you must have created that button somehow? Since you are "threatening" to rewrite this in PHP, by definition this means you already know how to code this in HTML and Javascript, so just to get you started, here is a hypothetical question: "How would you code a button in PHP to cause it to open a link/file in a frame or window?"

-----------------------------

The answer to your own query is plain and simple: "Take that solution which you seem to imply you know how to do, and put the same code into a Custom control element on a dialog or grid...."

-----------------------------

One of MANY examples out there that can be accessed by simply typing button onclick frame into Google, is this one: http://www.irt.org/articles/js015/index.htm#3

Now all you have to do is put a conditional control on the form and put the button code in there.
    Last edited by NoeticCC; 04-02-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Real Name
    Steve Wood

If you have a hyperlink on the left frame that opens a page/dialog in the right with a button, then you are almost there. Replace whatever opens in the right side with an A5W page that runs whatever code you have behind the button. It will skip the button and just open the PDF.
    Steve Wood
    AlphaToGo

Desktop Web Hosting Training Templates
    steve@alphatogo.com
    www.alphatogo.com (100% Alpha Five Website)
    Alpha Web Application Framework Demo

Real Name
    JoAnn Ristau

Thank you so much, Steve. I will try this today during lunchtime so I don't interrupt the users. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks!
    Support our US Military

Real Name
    JoAnn Ristau

I tried creating a page with just the code, and setting the url on the left frame to run the newly created page, but I just get a blank page displayed in my target area. I'll play with it some more today during lunchtime.

Thanks.
    Support our US Military