Thread: Medical Database Design

Real Name
    Alpha User

Default Medical Database Design

I'm currently designing a medical records application and have some questions as to how to store large amounts of data (physical exam, for example) in a table. The program also needs to handle intra-office communications and communications with patients via a portal so I'm unsure how to structure this in the backend table(s).

I'm using SQL Server 2005 and would like to get this done before utilizing Alpha to build the interface.

Thanks.

"Certified" Alphaholic NoeticCC's Avatar
    Real Name
    Andrea Gill

Default Re: Medical Database Design

Quote Originally Posted by washim View Post
    I'm currently designing a medical records application and have some questions as to how to store large amounts of data (physical exam, for example) in a table. The program also needs to handle intra-office communications and communications with patients via a portal so I'm unsure how to structure this in the backend table(s).

I'm using SQL Server 2005 and would like to get this done before utilizing Alpha to build the interface.

Thanks.
    Try some of the sample apps in Alpha, they are dbf tables but the structure might help you make up your mind...

Real Name
    David Mason

Kirk,

Welcome to Alpha!

May I suggest you post this in the appropriate forum relating to your version of a5. You may get a lot more responses.

One of the users on here has developed a whole system for a hospital and could certainly be of help. Just can't remember which one.

A few more have done some doctors ofice software and related.

Dave Mason
    car_man46@yahoo.com

The one who thinks outside the box(cheats) the most wins the race. Ask any racer.

Real Name
    Omar Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by washim View Post

Thanks.
    Storing text should not be an issue; Images will be. Some vendors choose to "link" to an image and others put binary data into the table. Some of this is for CCHIT certification and other is just for security.

You will be using several tables that will relate/link. You're probably better off starting on v9 as it affords better tools for connecting/updating sql engines.

You will also need to be familiar with the different column types of your sql backend so as to determine the best type for storing "chunks" of data; you'll also need to store formatting codes for say underlining; bold, etc.
    Last edited by omagarc; 09-01-2008 at 10:08 PM.

Real Name
    Alpha User

Thanks guys.

What I really need is an ERD showing how one would store elements of an encounter. I know the components but exactly how to store them in tables is the question.

My rationale for using SQL Server is that it will allow future development with whatever front end I decide to use if ultimately Alpha Five does not accomplish my goals. From what I've seen, however, I don't think that will be the case.

I already know how I want the interface to function. How this is represented in the back-end is currently my sticking point.

Real Name
    Alpha User

Also, would one of you be amenable to a private e-mail whereby I show you the specific problem I'm having? Thanks.

Real Name
    David Mason

First:

What version of Alphga are you using? If you have a specific problem in how to accomplish it, you would do much better to post it in the forum for the product you are using. It will get much more help in general.

Once you know what your user screens should look like, the rest is somewhat easier. It just depends on what you want it to do.

I do not mind if you private me or email me at car_man46@yahoo.com. You will be limiting your available knowledge this way, because none of us have as much knowledge as all combined. There are a bunch of people on here that are better versed on sql than I am and there are also a bunch on here better in other areas.

There are some basics to this RAD that cn be very helpful and if several people join in, the basics will get easier for you even if they disagree.

Dave Mason
    car_man46@yahoo.com

The one who thinks outside the box(cheats) the most wins the race. Ask any racer.

Real Name
    Roman Rapido

Can someone show a complete dbf tables designed for a small/medium sized hospital.I'l try to build the interface based on the tables.e.g Patient dbf, Inpatient dbf,Outpatient dbf, Diagnosis.db etcThanks!

Real Name
    Alpha User

I have since paid a group to develop this software for me given lack of time to devote to the project. I still have the Alpha software that I've never used. If anyone is interested in purchasing at a significantly reduced rate please let me know.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Roman,

You might find something to work with, or at least get started with, at the following web site:

http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm

Real Name
    Roman Rapido

Thank you so much for this very useful info.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Cone Jr View Post
    Roman,

You might find something to work with, or at least get started with, at the following web site:
    Tom,

The page you are referencing apparently contains malware. BEWARE!

Real Name
    Roman Rapido

Oh no, I'm so sorry, the first time i visited the site was Okey, but now i tried to open but it really informed me that it is an attack site.Maybe the admins can delete my post, I can't edit it. Thank you!